James M Carr
An experienced law firm with offices in Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, South Bend, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Beijing
Bankruptcy & Business Restructuring
Baker & Daniels' bankruptcy and business restructuring lawyers bring together nationally recognized experience and expertise in the fields of chapter 11 restructurings, out-of-court workouts and business reorganizations, commercial lending and loan restructuring, creditors' rights and other matters involving financially distressed entities and the businesses that work with them.
The breadth and depth of experience of our lawyers allows us to not only anticipate and analyze problems, but to find creative solutions while maintaining a commitment to minimizing the time and expenses associated with restructurings and commercial transactions. Applying the expertise of other Baker & Daniels professionals in litigation, employee benefits, labor & employment, tax, mergers & acquisitions and capital markets, we efficiently and cost-effectively provide our clients with industry-specific advice designed to address each client's unique circumstances.
As debtor's counsel, we have represented, among others:
* ATA Airlines, Inc., the 10th largest commercial airline
* American Commercial Lines, Inc., the largest inland barging company in the United States , and its subsidiary, Jeffboat, Inc., the largest builder of inland barges
* CART, Inc., championship auto racing league
* Conseco, Inc., insurance and financial services holding and operating companies
Our lawyers have extensive experience in all aspects of commercial law from both the debtor and creditor perspectives. We regularly represent business debtors, lenders, creditors, receivers, trustees and equity holders in public and private restructurings. We understand the procedures of lending institutions, participating regularly in the structuring, documenting, closing and administration of commercial, agricultural and real estate loan facilities and leasing transactions. We work with equity funders and others seeking investment opportunities and with businesses seeking new financing. We help businesses acquire and sell assets to increase profitability. Because we understand the deals going in, we can help you when business risks arise.
* Turnarounds and restructurings, both in court and out of court
* Mergers and acquisitions of business units or assets from chapter 11 debtors or troubled companies
* Bankruptcy litigation, including preference defense and claim disputes
* Commercial litigation in state and federal courts, including creditor's rights enforcement actions such as foreclosure and replevin
* Enforcement of remedies under security agreements, mortgages and leases
* Actions to dispose of property under the Uniform Commercial Code
* Actions against and in defense of guarantors
* Receiverships in both state and federal courts
* Prevention and defense of lender-liability claims
Board Certified Specialist, Business Bankruptcy - American Board of Certification
James M Carr
Baker & Daniels LLP
300 N Meridian St #2700
Indianapolis IN 46204
Tel: 317 237-1190
Fax: 317 237-8326
* Bankruptcy & Business Restructuring
Jim Carr works primarily in the creditors' rights and bankruptcy-reorganization area, representing various interests in connection with financially distressed businesses and the reorganization or liquidation of business entities. He has also devoted significant time to commercial litigation and the defense of lender liability claims. Jim has extensive experience representing secured creditors, equipment lessors, creditors committees and debtors in cases under chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code. He has also frequently represented purchasers of companies or the assets of companies that were the subject of bankruptcy cases. Jim is Chair of the Baker & Daniels commercial, financial & bankruptcy services group.